Know your visa type
Before applying, please ensure you are clear on your purpose of visit. Do remember we are here to assist and help you the entire visa application process but we are not permitted to advise or guide you on choosing a visa category.
For working or studying in Hungary for a period exceeding 90 days you need a residence permit (long-stay visa). For further details on residence permit please refer to our residence permit application procedure by going online to the website of National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing.
All long term visa applications should be lodged at the Embassy directly. Long term visa application is assessed and decided by the Hungarian Office of Immigration and Nationality.
You will be notified on the decision by the Consulate. Please be advised that during the time of the assessment Consulates will not answer any form of enquiry regarding state or outcome of the procedure.
If your application is refused, the decision of the Consular Section of the Embassy of Hungary in Kuwait will be given in a standardized written form in which you will get information as to why your application was rejected. If you received a decision you are not satisfied with, you can submit a written appeal no later than 8 calendar days from the day you received the decision. The appeal procedure has a fee. The appeal must be presented in person at the Visa Section of the Embassy of Hungary in Kuwait.
Please note that there is no exception to these rules.
The appeal is assessed and decided by the Hungarian Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade in 15 calendar days after the submission. You may be requested to provide further supporting documents to the appeal procedure. Please be advised that during the time of the assessment Consular Section will not answer any form of enquiry regarding state or outcome of the appeal procedure. Appeals can be submitted during consular hours at the Embassy on Mondays and Thursday from 10:00-12:00am. Please note that the time of the appeal procedure cannot be reduced.
If your application is turned down in appeal procedure for a second time you are entitled to seek judicial review of this decision. Petition for judicial review shall be submitted no later than 3 calendar days from the day you received the decision in the appeal procedure. The petition is judged by the Metropolitan Administrative and Labor Court in Hungary in 8 calendar days after the petition is registered with the court. The court has the competence to assess the legality of the visa procedure. Therefore, the petition shall be based on evidence that during the visa procedure or the appeal procedure the respective authorities braked or failed to observe the law or their decision was unfounded. The fees of procedure shall not be surrendered at the time of submitting the petition. The court’s decision will also dispose on the fees.
When lodging the application, you are expected to:
- Present an application form duly filled and signed. Application form is free and can be downloaded from here
- Present a passport which validity shall extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the territory of the Schengen States or, in the case of several visits, after the last intended date of departure from the territory of the Schengen states.
- Have a passport that has been issued within the previous 10 years and that has two blank pages next to each other.
- Present 1 passport-size photos no older than 6 months. Please note that the photo has to be color one; head-dress is permitted provided that all facial details are clearly visible.
- Pay the residence permit handling fee.
- Provide supporting documents. (For further information please refer top the categories). PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CONSUL MAY REQUEST OTHER DOCUMENTS AS WELL TO BE SUBMITTED.