Registration of divorce


NOTE! If the marriage was solemnised and terminated abroad and the marriage had not been registered in Hungary yet, the two applications (registration of marriage and divorce) should be submitted together. One appointment (for registration of marriage/divorce) is sufficient for submitting both applications.

To schedule an appointment please sent a request email to

Necessary documents:

  • original Hungarian marriage certificate;
  • final court order on the divorce with Apostille (India) or diplomatic legalization (other countries than India);
  • Hungarian translation of the court order;
  • copy of the birth certificate of the Hungarian national;
  • filled in and signed application form that can be downloaded at the bottom of this page;
  • proof of Hungarian nationality of the Hungarian nationals;
  • proof of ID and nationality for non-Hungarians;
  • Brussel II certificate (if the marriage was dissolved within the EU after 1 May 2004). It is not required to be translated to Hungarian or English.;
  • Consular fee (for information about the fees please visit the following link on our website: “Consular fees”).
  • Hungarian translation of the court order:

Translation should be done by the Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation LTD in Hungary ( or a translator. The Consulate does not prepare translations.

If the original document is not in English only translations made by the Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation LTD or translations verified by the competent Hungarian Embassies are acceptable.